After the launch party in July, where Roz and I invited family and friends to look over the studio and join us in welcoming potential students to our work and studio space, I embarked upon summer schools this week.
The space is now almost fullly equipped and it is delightful to teach in a space where everything is to hand: books, samples, materials and supplies, not to mention coffee and biscuits! There was a small group tackling a tie dye mini quilt in 4 days, made smaller by the unfortunate timing of a stomach virus which laid my sister low all week. I will try to catch her up next week.
Day 1 was the dyeing day. Various methods of clamping, tying, pinching, stuffing, and wrapping to create pressure to resist the dye once immersed in a bucket. I always think that the pieces look lovely before going into the dye. Its almost a shame…
But then into the dye bucket they go and then comes the agonising wait whilst the dye and then the fix do their stuff. We spent that time looking at how other quilters had handled similar ways of putting a quilt or hanging together. In other words, how to manage various rectangles of different patterns/textures and tones in a quilt style format.Using squared paper, and collaging coloured papers, we came up with some designs to adapt once the fabrics were revealed.
By this time the fabric was ready to be taken out of the buckets for the rinse and wash. This is the most thrilling bit of the process as the patterns and textures are revealed and the astonishment at the marks is always a lovely thing to be part of.
Day 2 was spent working out a cutting plan according to the designs created and then getting on with the process of using rotary cutters to cut out all the pieces which will make up the quilts. Before they got cut up we took some photos.
Looking forward to teaching Introduction to GoldWork tomorrow for 2 days and then repeating the pattern of teaching next week, with each class having their Day 3&4.